Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Granola Bar Recipe

I've been wanting to make my own granola bars for a while now. After checking out a few different recipes on the net, I came up with this one. I would've liked for it to be a bit healthier, but I just used the ingredients I had on hand.


Granola Bars



Ingredients
2 cups quick cook rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flax seed
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sweetened coconut
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract




Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, flax seed, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt.
Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, agave nectar, egg, oil and vanilla.
Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm.




The best part of this recipe is that it can be changed a thousand different ways. I can't wait to try different variations.
I got a thumbs up from the Hubs and Jaelyn is hooked. I have to keep them out of his reach.


Yum.



2 comments:

Whatcha thinking?