Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chicken Chili


It's been a clean out the fridge, freezer and cabinets kind of week. I've really been trying to avoid having to shop and use the foods we already have.

The Hubs and I have agreed not to buy any meat until all the meat we already have is used. And since we have a stand-up freezer in our garage, we acquire a lot of meat. Lots of chicken. So I've been trying to get creative with our meals lately.
A few nights ago I made a chicken chili.
*
I boiled two bone-in breast, which I first removed the skin.
In a big pot, I sweat out a few stalks of celery, a few mushrooms, some green bell pepper, a clove of garlic and a medium onion in some EVOO.
Once the chicken was cooked through, I cut it away from the bone into bite size pieces, before adding it to the pot of veggies, with some seasonings.
Following the chicken I added the remainder of the ingredients:
1 can of corn
1 can of kidney beans
2 cans of chicken stock
1 package of reduced sodium chili mix

I let it all cook together at a medium-low simmer.

Served it with some sweet corn bread.



This was my first try at chicken chili and it was so yummy. The Hubs gave me a thumbs up!!




2 comments:

  1. SWEET CHEESES! I want this chili! now!

    and i might have to forgo the cornbread since i once made a tray andpicked at the whole tray in a 2 day period... bad idea. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really trying to use everything I have on hand also. I feel like I throw away too much food each week. I can't see your chicken chili because my work computer doesn't show pictures but it sounds superb. I think this will be my next week freezer meal.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?