Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Perogies with Mushroom Gravy

This is a dish my Mum would make alot when I was younger. I love it.
Perogies are a Ukrainian filled pasta. I think there are a variety of different fillings but I've only had the potato and cheese filled perogies.
I buy them frozen and boil according to the package. About 8 mins until pastas float.

I made the mushroom gravy by first sauteing some onions and mushrooms in a touch of EVOO.

Once they became soft and translucent, I scooted them to the edges of the pan and made a rue in the middle with a small amount of butter and flour. Cooked down the flour a bit and added some reduced sodium chicken broth a few shakes of some soy sauce and seasoning.

Mixed it all well, and let it simmer and thicken.

On my plate went 4 perogies, some gravy and a dollop of rf sour cream.

I'm pretty sure this is not the traditional Ukrainian way to eat them, but it's how we always had them.

OMG, so good. Just like Mum used to make.

Jaelyn was hesitant to try it, but in the end became a fan.
YUM!

6 comments:

Whatcha thinking?