Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Support and Something New

Yesterday I supported my friend Liz and her family as they said Good Bye to her grandmother Rose for the final time. Grandma Rose was the sweetest, cutest little thing with a warm heart and attractive personality. She will be greatly missed by many.

After the service we all enjoyed a beautiful dinner at a seafood restaurant. I didn't take a pic of my dinner plate or plates, because I didn't want to bust out my camera and be looked at crazy. So here's the run down of my four course dinner.

Shrimp cocktail for a starter,
Classic Ceasar Salad,
Salmon with shrimp and rice,
and a sweet treat of Bailey's Chocolate mousse.
It was all so yummy.
__

For dinner tonight, I decided to try something new.

Meat Filled Manicotti.

I found the recipe here.
I followed the recipe with these changes:
-Ground turkey instead of beef
-Ricotta in replace of cottage cheese
-Added a handful of spinach
-I also had to use some shredded cheddar b/c I didn't have enough mozza
-And I added more spices

I took some pics during the cooking process.
Browning the ground turkey.
The cooked pasta cooling and waiting to be stuffed.
The filling included the meat, 2 egg whites, ricotta, spinach, cheddar, parmesan and italian spices.
I used a freezer bag to pipe the filling, but I think a small spoon would have been a bit easier.
I also filled from both ends of the pasta.
Just before going into the oven, smothered in tomato sauce and cheese.
Yes, there are two pans. I'm taking one to my cousin tomorrow who had knee surgery and is resting and recovering.
The final product.
Paired with salad and garlic bread.

How did it turn out?

To be honest, it wasn't a touchdown. Don't get me wrong, it was good but was missing a little something.

The hubs said it needed more moisture and seasoning. I think I agree. Next time I'm going to try it with the cottage cheese which should help with moisture.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, it wasn't the best, but it sure does look GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marisa, it did look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks awesome! Sorry it didn't turn out as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?