Thursday, May 14, 2009

Teriyaki Noodles and Chicken

While running on the treadmill and watching Rachel Ray (for some reason, I love to watch the Food Network while working out) cook up some yummy "chinese takeout", I remembered this noodle dish a classmate once made for a potluck we had in class.
It was really good and I thought I should try my hand at it.
Hers was a cold pasta salad, she even had shrimp in it and a few different vegetables.


I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles, prepared according to package.
Sauteed mushrooms, broccoli, cut carrot sticks, red bells and onion in a little canolla oil with a few big slices of ginger.
Once the veggies were tender but still had some crunch, I added the teriyaki sauce and let heat through. Oh, and I removed the ginger slices. Added the cooked noodles and tossed it all together to coat all the noodles in the sauce. Removed from heat and tossed in some chucks of pineapple.


Since I was making it for dinner, I also made teriyaki chicken wings with it.
For the chicken I marinated the wings in the teriyaki sauce for about 1 hour and then baked for 35 mins.


I originally thought I would have 2 wings with dinner, but the noodles were so good, I swapped the 2nd wing for more noodles.


Just as a side note,
I used a bottled reduced sodium teriyaki sauce and added my own flare.
For the marinade, I added pineapple juice, fresh garlic and sliced ginger.
I did the same for the noodle sauce but also added a little honey.
*For some reason, I feel like I'm forgetting something?


Also, the veggies can be what ever you have on hand. Snap peas would be great in this. I even thought of adding shredded cabbage.
This dish could also, easily be a meal in itself, just add some protein.

3 comments:

  1. LOL - I work out to Rachel Ray Show in the morning or The Food Network, too!

    Love the noodle dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like something my husband might eat! HE IS SO PICKY! i also find myself working out to some cooking show.....it cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that looks like something I would enjoy! I have been on an Asian kick lately. :)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?