Friday, March 11, 2011

{Food Fix} Tasted - Meatless Meat

I'm not afraid to try new things.  Esp. after hearing good reviews. 
And lately I've been hearing alot about meatless crumbles. 
"You can't tell the difference", "They're great", "Taste much like the real thing". 
Just a few of the comments I've heard about meatless crumbles.
So of course, being the curious little foodie that I am, I decided to check them out for myself.
~~~

My supermarket sells a couple different brands, but I chose Boca since I like a lot of thier products.


This is what it looks like straight out of the bag, still frozen.
After sauteing it with some EVOO, onions and mushrooms, I tossed it in some spaghetti sauce and added noodles.  Topped with some mozza cheese.

Next, was the moment of truth.

I took a bite.

Not bad.

Another bite.

No, not bad at all.

I have to be honest and say, it wasn't all that I had been hearing of it.

It definitely didn't taste just like the real thing, but it was good.

The texture wasn't bad either.  A bit softer than regular ground meat but not mushy.

I can't say, I love it, or if I'll even purchase it again, but I can say, it made for a quick lunch.  I still have some left in the freezer, so I'm going to try to prepare it a different way next time.

Maybe tacos?

I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. I used to use these (different brand) years ago.
    Going to see if I can find some again.
    What's the carb & fat content?
    barbara dot montyj at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i may recommend my favorite faux meat products: Tofurkey's Italian Sausage (found at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods) - AMAZING! my picky omnivore boyfriend loves them. Also, Gardein's beefless strips (frozen aisle, Whole Foods), & Trader Joe's chickenless nuggets. :D

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?