Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pear Cake = Yum!

Fresh Pear Cake
With some of the many pears I picked from my MIL's backyard, I made a Pear Cake.

I had never made one before so I didn't know what to expect. It turned out really good.
Moist and Sweet.

I found the recipe here.


INGREDIENTS

4 cups peeled, cored and chopped pears
2 cups white sugar
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves*
4 egg whites*
2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup chopped pecans

*Of course I made a few changes to the recipe. When do I not remix the recipes?

  • I used 2 cups all purpose flour & 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • I didn't have cloves, so I grated a bit of fresh ginger in it
  • I used 3 egg whites

DIRECTIONS

Combine the pears and the sugar and let stand for one hour. (I didn't wait an hour)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Slightly beat the egg whites and combine them with the oil, chopped pecans and pear mixture.
Stir the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in the pear mixture. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven ant let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing form pan.

Nutritional Information

Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 461
Total Fat: 20.1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 371mg
Total Carbs: 67.5g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7g
Protein: 5.6g

Not the healthiest cake, but not the worst either. Moderation is key, once again.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...Looks fabulous! I love your recipes/pictures. They certainly motivate me to try new things :)

    Keep up the good work. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMO! My mouth is watering! Will definitely have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    The pear cake looks delicious!
    Thank you for being an active voice in the Healthy Eating Community. I am the Director of Blogger Relations at Wellsphere and I believe that you would be a valued resource in our HealthBlogger Network, which currently has over 2,600 of the best health writers on the web.

    After reviewing your blog, I see that you meet our standards joining, so I'd like to invite you to participate as a Top Health Blogger. As a Top Health Blogger, you would republish your writing on the Wellsphere platform (now with over 6 million visits a month), and yet you retain ownership and all rights to the control of your content.

    If this opportunity interests you, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

    Have a wonderful day,

    Best,
    Hua
    Director of Blogger Networks

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?