Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Homemade Apple Pie

Is it a pie b/c it has a pie crust or is it a crisp b/c it has a crumble top?
I don't know but it sure was good!
-
I picked these apples from my MIL's tree in her backyard a couple days ago. She doesn't ever pick them, just lets them fall to the ground and rot, I can't stand to see free fruit go to waste, so I brought some home. I decided to make apple pies b/c I had 2 pie shells in the freezer.

I've never made an apple pie before so I checked out a few recipes online and winged it.

After peeling and slicing 10 apples, I tossed them in a mixture of 1/3 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Divided them evenly between the 2 shells, and drizzled them with honey.
For the crumb topping, I mixed together 6 tbsp of cold butter (cubed), 1 cup of quick oats, 2/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup white four and 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour. I hope I'm not forgetting anything.
I baked it at 350 for 40 mins, until apples were tender and crumb topping was golden.
A scoop of ice cream was the perfect partner. Oh so good!
I invited my MIL over so she could enjoy some and put the 2nd pie in the freezer. I hope it freezes well.

2 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful!!!

    Next weekend we're going peach pickin' [wow, that sounds so country], but i hope we can score some apples while we're there as well.

    I really want to try this recipe!

    Ebony Renee
    Project Hot Mommy
    www.phmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that pie looks divine! I like how you healthied it up! Healthied? is that a word? I bet it was good!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?