Friday, August 14, 2009

Curry in a Hurry.

Well, it really wasn't in a hurry, but that phrase is so catchy.

Last nights dinner was Indian.
I made tandoori chicken, curry chick peas, brown basmati rice and cucumber slices.
I made the chicken with a store bought tandoori paste.
I put about 2 tbsp in a ziploc bag with approx. 1/2 cup ff sour cream (the directions called for plain yogurt, but I didn't have any), mixed well, then added the chicken pieces. I removed the skin from my chicken leg before added to the mix.
Marinated the chicken in the fridge for several hours.
I baked it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for 30 mns.

The chick peas I made first by coating the bottom of a pot with EVOO and sauteing some chopped onion on medium heat. I added 1 tbsp of curry powder and let cook. It's important to cook out the bitter taste of the curry powder. Kind of like cooking down flour when making a rue.

Once satisfied, I added about 1 cup coconut milk, cumin, seasoning salt, chili flakes and garlic powder. Stirred well and let heat through before adding the rinced and strained chick peas and about 1/4 cup of white wine. Stirred frequently and let the flavors combine well. *If the sauce is too thick, you can add some water.

I cooked the basmati rice as according to package. 2&1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. I substituted 1 cup of water for 1 cup of coconut milk.

The sliced cucumbers were a great fresh bite that perfectly complimented the curry.

This was my first time making this spread. It turned out great. The Hubs loved it, he even took the leftovers to work for lunch today.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks delicious. I love Indian food too. Thanks for your comment. :) You'll be a 10 in no time. You look fantastic, an inspiration to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love yours! So many great ideas for meals. I'll definitely be bookmarking this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?