Wednesday, July 18, 2012

{Creative Fix} DIY Sugar Scrub

While I was pregnant with Wynter I came across a you tube video of a tutorial on how to make body scrubs.  I am a product junkie.  I love a new product of any type.  I'm also a craft/DIY junkie.  I love to make things.  So trying one out for myself was a no brainer.

This stuff is so good.  I use it all over my body, from head neck to toe.  It scrubs away all the dead skin and moisturizes at the same time. 
Leaving the skin soft, smooth and smelling good.
It has even eliminated some of the small bumps I get on the back of my arms.

I have to say, that first batch had me hooked and I have been making it ever since.  I love it so much that I even made small jars as favors for my baby shower. 

Anywoo, I've been meaning to write a post about it for a while now, but hey, better late than never.. 


 I played around with the ingredients before finding the perfect mix for me but you can customize it easily to fit your needs.

You will need:
 
2 Cups of Sugar
3/4 cup of Olive Oil (not extra virgin, that's too strong smelling & more $$)
1 tbsp of Vanilla Extract (optional, but smells like heaven)
Scented Essential Oil
I used orange essential oil, but any scent works. 
Lemon, Lavender, Rose, Grapefruit... etc.
Peppermint (minus the vanilla) is great for the holidays.

 
Add all your ingredients to a large bowl.


And mix well.
(I had a helper mix for me)


Put it in any jar of your liking.

These are gifts so they went in dressed up canning jars.
For my personal portion I use an empty container from a store bought scrub that I keep in my shower.

That's it.

Easy Peasy.


Directions for use:

Wet skin
Gently rub generous amount all over body
Rinse
Pat dry with towel.

 
 If you try it be sure to come back and let me know what you think.

12 comments:

  1. Neat .. I'm going to try this weekend maybe.
    Where do you find the Scented Essential Oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the essential oils in most organic foods stores or in the organic/health section of most larger grocery stores.

      When you try it out, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. Hey! How long will it keep after being made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually have any left after 2 weeks but I assume it will last a lot longer.

      Delete
  3. How much essential oil do you suggest on using? And how many batches will this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe filled 3 jars with a little left over. But when I make my own I just fill my jar with sugar and add oil until I get the consistency I like.

      Delete
    2. I use a few drops of essential oil, until I like the strength

      Delete
  4. Hi DaMora, I received your scrub for xmas. LOVE IT! Along with it was a hand scrub made with dish liqiid soap. Any recipes for hand scrub? Thanks, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff if so amazing! I've been making lemon scrub for a while, but never thought to use orange... I usually instead of using the scented essential oil, I used 1/4 cup olive oil, then zest the orange and then juice it. It's cheaper than buying the oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add vitamin E oil to create a natrual preservative and further help skin look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made a double batch of this to give as gifts for Christmas...it smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is an old recipe but I made it today to give as a Christmas gift, and used someone’s suggestion to use fresh orange instead of essential oils and it smells AMAZING. I can’t wait to give them as gifts this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?