Friday, June 29, 2012

{Travel Fix} Cancun V.1

I'm finally home long enough to do a post (or 3) on our family vacation to Cancun.

We had a blast.  It was so great to get away together as a family of 5.  (I love saying "family of 5", it feels so complete)


While in Cancun we stayed at the Gran Caribe Real.  It was a great all inclusive resort.  Perfect for a family.  Plenty of entertainment and an awesome activity center for kids.  2 pools in addtion to the beautiful beach, waterslides and a kids water area with a big pirate ship. 



 
 
 
 


Part of the daily activities was a cooking lesson where a chef would come out by the pool and make a dish.

Seafood Payaya

So good!
 
 


About our 3rd day in, I noticed people drinking this green concoction at breakfast.  So of course I had to investigate and try it.

Turned out to be Jugo Verde or Green Juice.

It was delish, and very healthy.  I had a glass or two with each breakfast after that.

And while I'm on the subject, I will further discuss the resort food.

While most of it looked very pretty, it just didn't meet my expectations.  This was our 4 all inclusive resort experience and I have to say, it was the least exciting when it came to the food.

There were several different restaurants in addtion to the buffet and I have to say, the buffet had the best food.  The fine dining restaurants just didn't do it for me or the Hubs.

The only other restaurant besides the buffet I realy enjoyed was the poolside sandwich and sushi bar.
The sushi was prepared fresh, the burgers were handmade and the sandwiches were great.

Of course, at a tropical all inclusive, the cocktails were fruity, chilled and refreshing.
just a few of the many drinks we tried and enjoyed.

Being Mexico, guava fruit was everywhere, so this was a perfect opportunity for me to add it to my list of new fruits to try. 

I've had guava juice before but never the actual fresh fruit.

To be honest, I was surprised to see what it looked like.  I was expecting a much larger fruit, like a mango or papaya, but the guava was small.

I wasn't sure how to eat it, so I just took a bite of the flesh and seeds. 
At first taste, yuck!
Not my thing.  The seeds didn't help the matter either. They were hard.
I don't even think I had it in my mouth long enough to really get a good taste.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation! I've never been to Cancun but it looks wonderful! Weather looks glorious and don't get me started on the food.

    You have a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. Looks like you all had an amazing vacation. Dont give up on the guavas just yet...try another type. Some are juicier than others ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?