Friday, June 29, 2012

{Travel Fix} Cancun V.1

I'm finally home long enough to do a post (or 3) on our family vacation to Cancun.

We had a blast.  It was so great to get away together as a family of 5.  (I love saying "family of 5", it feels so complete)


While in Cancun we stayed at the Gran Caribe Real.  It was a great all inclusive resort.  Perfect for a family.  Plenty of entertainment and an awesome activity center for kids.  2 pools in addtion to the beautiful beach, waterslides and a kids water area with a big pirate ship. 



 
 
 
 


Part of the daily activities was a cooking lesson where a chef would come out by the pool and make a dish.

Seafood Payaya

So good!
 
 


About our 3rd day in, I noticed people drinking this green concoction at breakfast.  So of course I had to investigate and try it.

Turned out to be Jugo Verde or Green Juice.

It was delish, and very healthy.  I had a glass or two with each breakfast after that.

And while I'm on the subject, I will further discuss the resort food.

While most of it looked very pretty, it just didn't meet my expectations.  This was our 4 all inclusive resort experience and I have to say, it was the least exciting when it came to the food.

There were several different restaurants in addtion to the buffet and I have to say, the buffet had the best food.  The fine dining restaurants just didn't do it for me or the Hubs.

The only other restaurant besides the buffet I realy enjoyed was the poolside sandwich and sushi bar.
The sushi was prepared fresh, the burgers were handmade and the sandwiches were great.

Of course, at a tropical all inclusive, the cocktails were fruity, chilled and refreshing.
just a few of the many drinks we tried and enjoyed.

Being Mexico, guava fruit was everywhere, so this was a perfect opportunity for me to add it to my list of new fruits to try. 

I've had guava juice before but never the actual fresh fruit.

To be honest, I was surprised to see what it looked like.  I was expecting a much larger fruit, like a mango or papaya, but the guava was small.

I wasn't sure how to eat it, so I just took a bite of the flesh and seeds. 
At first taste, yuck!
Not my thing.  The seeds didn't help the matter either. They were hard.
I don't even think I had it in my mouth long enough to really get a good taste.