Wednesday, March 23, 2011

{Food Fix} My Oatmeal


I had a couple readers ask about how I make my oatmeal.  So I decided to do a full post on it.

I always make it the same way, but sometimes mix it up with different toppings and mix-ins.

So my base, goes like this.

I don't measure anything, just eyeball it.

These four ingredients are always in my oatmeal.
Nothing fancy, just your basic oatmeal, raisins, vanilla extract and cinnamon.

 Of course, I start with boiling water then add the oatmeal on med. high heat.
Not too much or too little.
Just enough to mix into the water without allowing it to get too thick.
Followed by the raisins. I like lots of raisins.
At this point I usually turn the heat off.


Then I add the vanilla and cinnamon
 Once the water is cooked down and absorbed into the oats, it's done.
 I sweeten my oatmeal with either agave nectar or honey and I always top it with a splash of milk.
Yum, Yum, Yum!!

Some of my other favorite mix-ins are:

chocolate chips (when I'm being naughty)
walnuts or pecans
craisins
dried apricots
pb and jelly


3 comments:

  1. THANKX FOR THIS POST! I'm excited to try my oatmeal this way...bye bye sugary instant oats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born and raised in Seattle but moved to Houston a month and a half ago. Where did you go to school? I graduated from Garfield in 1996.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! We were at GHS at the same time, you're just a few years younger than me! You probably know my brother! So far I'm loving Houston! I have a lot of family here. Luckily my job is super close to home so I don't have a commute. It's a nice change for me and we're really enjoying the weather! The world is SO small!

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha thinking?