Thursday, August 26, 2010

What a week!

It's been a crazy busy week. So I thought I'd start from the beginning.

Avon's Birth Story.

On the 18th I got admitted to the hospital for an induction. I was almost dilated to a 4 and very soft. {"Like Butta" - to quote the nurse} The plan was to give me a dose of cytotec (sp?) to start contractions. I took the tiny little pill, then took an hour long stroll with the Hubs and J around the hospital. I felt contractions, but they were weak. So, a 2nd dose of medication was given to me. After another walk and check, I was still having weak contractions and hadn't made any progress. Ugh. The last and final dose of medication was given to me. Of course by this time, I was getting discouraged. I thought if, I don't progress with this dose, I was definitely getting sent home to wait. And what do you know?, nothing changed. I was feeling so discouraged.

My nurse knew I did not want to go home. So she spoke with my Dr. who decided to keep me admitted. They monitored me and the baby for about 20 mins before breaking my water. And let me tell you, the very next contraction was the pain I had been waiting for. It was game on!! Everything went very quick from there. The contractions were frequent and intense. I felt like I was ready for an epidural but decided to take a medication that would just take the edge off. I was afraid of getting the epidural too early and slowing things down. Well, 45 mins later, I was definitely ready for an epidural. The pain was so intense, like nothing I've ever felt before. It was paralyzing. When the anesthesiologist finally arrived I felt as if the baby was coming out right then and there. He did his thing, which I felt took longer than should have and later found out it did. My Doc and nurse were not impressed with him at all. As soon as the epidural kicked in, my Dr. checked me and I was fully dilated and ready to push. Roughly 30 mins later, my little guy was on my chest.
It turns out, the cord was wrapped around his neck, not once, but twice. I'm guessing that was why I wasn't able to progress before my water was broken. Luckily, my Dr. was fast to correct it and Little Avon was healthy as can be.

14 hours of labor
Avon was born on the 19th at 1am.

Hospital Food

Breakfast - Oatmeal with raisins and a fruit plate.

Lunch - Veggie Burger,
With fries,
and a slice of angel food cake, blueberries and whip cream.

Dinner - Garden salad with thousand island, a fruit plate, and an italian ice treat.

Look at my beautiful boys. I'm in a love coma and don't want to come out of it.
I never thought I could love Jaelyn any more than I already did, but somehow having Avon and seeing the 2 of them together, makes me love Jaelyn even more.

I'm one lucky Mama!!

3 days after Avon's birth we made our first trip up North to my parents house. It was my dad's 50th birthday and there was no way we were going to miss the party.
The party wasn't a surprise, but the great golf cake was. Isn't it great? Not only did it look spectacular but it was so so delish. Moist cake with a raspberry cream filling - everything a cake should be. Amazing!

The rest of the week was spent in MN, at the General Mills Headquarters. I'll post about that soon as I get a chance.